Tuesday, December 4, 2007

How do you reconcile irreconcilable differences?

That is the fucking question, isn't it? (Jesus, it's been a long time since I've posted...more on that later)

I mean seriously, can anyone answer this? If you can, by all means do! I just don't see how it will ever be resolved. I mean, short of one of us deciding to change our minds about our views, I don't know what to do besides completely avoid the subject and those related. Of course, intuitively, that doesn't seem like any way to have a relationship, right? I know couples have their differences and all, but what do you do when it's a MAJOR difference? Especially what do you do when you love the person and you don't want to have to break up? I think that what makes it so bad or such a major difference is that both of us feel like the other's feelings infringe upon our own. I don't know how to solve it. If this were a test, I would fail, because I'm coming up with nothing. I don't even know when or where or how to start. I don't know.

Ok, I can't come up with anything else, so I guess that's all I have to say on that subject.

If any of you were wondering (which I'm positive that no one was wondering), but just for that infinitesimally small fraction of a chance that you were, I haven't been writing lately because there are too many things to be angry about and I quite simply just can't keep up. I mean, with teachers being threatened with death for naming a fucking teddy bear Mohammad to Texas education officials being fired for promoting SCIENCE to children's books being labeled as atheist propaganda, I just don't have enough time or anger to go around. That bumper sticker that says "If you're not angry, you're not paying attention" is damn right. I would like to go on a rant right now, but I can't decide what to rant about because there are SO MANY THINGS going freaking wrong in the world. Maybe I'm just too pessimistic and I need to be trying to focus on the good things going on in the world and all the charities that are doing positive things for Christmas, etc. Is there a website that only posts good news? If there is, I certainly haven't found it. Then again, if everyone were apathetic the world would probably be a much more deplorable place than it is now.

At any rate, that's all for now.

***Disclaimer: To anyone reading this blog entry, I mean what I say how I mean it and I take no responsibility if you interpret it incorrectly. If you want to know what I mean, ask. If you think that I meant something in a particular way, but you would hope not or you wouldn't think that I would be someone to think that way, please ask and I shall clarify. Thank you. ***

3 comments:

Jonathan said...

I wasn't going to comment, but your post got me thinking since I found your blog last week.

Can you reconcile irreconcilable differences? As far as I'm concerned, the answer is no. You can't. But the question then becomes, are these irreconcilable differences really "irreconcilable", or do we just think that they are?

When I encounter someone whose views differ majorly from mine on a subject that I feel strongly about, there is a certain thing I find happens. Not only do I disagree with them, but I also sometimes get offended that my strongly-held views on (whatever) are even being challenged to begin with. I think everyone feels this to a greater or lesser extent.

Obviously this is a massive generalisation. But I would say that things that seem massively irreconcilable may not be quite so bad when you factor in the "offence factor".

Avoiding the subject doesn't help. The best way to deal with it is to talk about the subject in question and why the difficulty exists. At the very least it helps you find out just how big a stumbling-block the issue really is.

That's what I think, anyway.

Anna Banana said...

Well, as it turned out, in this case, the differences were indeed irreconcilable and it has turned out to be better for everyone involved that the relationship has ended. I was of course speaking of my boyfriend at the time who was a deist from a conservative Christian family who took offense at my view points and I to his regarding allowing children's education to be determined by their parents even if it were YEC.

I agree with everything that you say, though about removing the "offence factor". I think in this case, however, the views were the things doing the offending, not the people...if that makes sense.

Jonathan said...

Anna-

"I think in this case, however, the views were the things doing the offending, not the people...if that makes sense".

It makes perfect sense. Sometimes different views just can't be reconciled, sad as it is.

Your post actually got me thinking about different viewpoints, and the importance we attach them. I did a post on the subject on my blog, so I suppose I should thank you for the inspiration! I've also been ranting a little about the story of the 11 year old from RD.net. Anyway. I'm off.